Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thanks for the reminder, Easter Bunny!


Max and I were holding hands, walking home from visiting an elderly lady in our ward on Friday. There was a house on the first corner with Easter Bunny cut-outs in all the windows. I excitedly pointed these out to Max, thinking he would comment on the bow around the bunny's neck, or the basket of eggs. Instead, "Do those pictures remind us of Easter, Mom?" I replied that, yes, the easter bunny can remind us of Easter, but he certainly isn't the most important part. He knew that, of course. Silly me for even mentioning it, I should really know better. "We remember that Jesus died for us and came alive again....or resurrected."

HALLELUJAH! HE HAS BEEN LISTENING? I HAVEN'T BEEN TALKING TO THE WALL!!

"Great job, Max! That is exactly what Easter is about. Good remembering!"

"I remembered because you taught me, right Mommy?"

I wanted to squeeze that little hand forever and never let it go. I thought about him growing up and getting married. And the quote Pres. Monson shared from last genereal conference: “It is difficult for those who are young to understand the loneliness that comes when life changes from a time of preparation and performance to a time of putting things away. … To be so long the center of a home, so much sought after, and then, almost suddenly to be on the sidelines watching the procession pass by—this is living into loneliness. …" After that, I thought Death. I would miss my little Max and crazy Sam. Would they miss me? Did I teach them enough?

Then I remembered the Easter Bunny. Well, I remembered what he helped Max to remember: Our Saviour lives. He died for us and gave the ultimate gift of eternal life. Things may get hard later on in life, but I know I will get to live with my little buddies after it all passes. I'm grateful for this weekend of family and love, but most of all I'm thankful for the thoughtfulness of the Easter bunny to remind me.

5 comments:

Amie said...

What a smart little boy! I love to hear stories of what little kids say. Happy Easter!!

Bi-Ped said...

Oh my gosh! Best story ever!!! That is so dang amazing. Good job, mama. :-) (Btw, you can tell he learns stuff at home during Primary.)

The Dudleys said...

Oh how I love that little boy! He is so smart!

Godlonton Family Adventures said...

That is such a great story Linds! So Sweet!

Natalie said...

I'm continually shocked at what good things my kids are learning and what comes out of their mouths to prove it. Sometimes I wonder where they're getting it!

Keep it up, cuz!