Saturday, May 1, 2010

A month late?

Most of the time I'd like to think I'm on top of things. (Like feeding and dressing the boys, making sure our house doesn't become infested with rats etc.) Apparently blogging about my kids on their birthdays has completely evaded my vigilance in keeping family updated. Oh boy.

Without further ado, here's to my little Sam on his birthday- or a month after his birthday.

When Sammy was born, I was totally unprepared. I went into the hospital during the Saturday morning session of conference thinking that my water may have broken-in the shower? What are the chances of that! I was pretty certain that it hadn't, but I was humoring Dustin, who thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. (or he didn't want to watch conference, but I would NEVER imply that) After being examined by a very old doctor, who was the very least to say, the RUDEST man I'd ever met, I was confirmed to "be in labor". Without contractions. 'I'm in labor? Are you sure? I'm not due for another ten days and I'm not even having any contractions.' At this point I'm a little stressed as Max is running free all over the labor and delivery floor. (I needed Dustin to tell me that I was, in fact going to have a baby that day because I didn't believe creep face doctor). 'Could I go home until the contractions start? Would that be safe?' The nurse said she thought that would be fine if I came back as soon as I felt one contraction. The fetal monitor suggested otherwise- his heart rate was all over the map, reeeeeaally low and then back up again! So, induction was the suggestion.



Induced I was. Immediate contractions. I felt like a fake, though, because it wasn't my body that was preparing itself. Instead, a synthetic drug. That was a very odd feeling for me. Epidural. Wonderful. ME begging for a ham and cheese sandwich. Denied. Also denied was my notion of being in labor. I kept asking Dustin, 'Am I having a baby today? For real?' Like I said, unprepared. The whole pregnancy I shut out wonderment of how far along I was, where the baby should be at developmentally, and was sure he would come 2 weeks after his due date. This was based on Max being 2 weeks early and I did NOT want to be waiting for an entire month for baby #2.

"We've called for the doctor but it's time to push. Can you wait until she gets back?"

'Sure?'

Longest wait of my life. Easiest pushing. Beautiful 8 pound baby with ten fingers and eleven toes. Max loved him too, although it took him a little while to figure out what was happening to his world. They've been inseparable since. The bath is their favorite place to play, even though Max takes up most of the tub.

Sam is my sweet little guy who loves his dad, his brother, dragonfruit, and his puppy. He makes our family puzzle complete with his crazy hopping, and daredevil acts. We love you little buddy!








0I/AAAAAAAAAUw/N-JJDzockXY/s320/100_4017.JPG" border="0" alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5473009488513152834" />

4 comments:

Amie said...

Sounds like a crazy end of your pregnancy. Hope this one goes better! :)

Kara said...

Great updates Linds! Ihaven't to your blog in forever (cause my blogs all got deleted) so thanks for the FB reminder!

Lauren Bennett said...

Haha, when i read your title i thought it was about finding out you were pregnant hahaha! Anyway, we love Sammy too! Happy belated! Also, i hope the creepy face doctor isn't at he hospital for baby #3! Talk to you later!

null said...

really?? 11 toes?