I don't usually post anything too "in your face" on this blog. However, something has really dug itself under my skin, and it has been on my mind all week.
When did it become socially acceptable to be openly irreverent and blasphemous?
Glee. I have tried and tried to get into this show, because we have heard so many funny things are on it. I like observational humor, and apparently this has LOADS of it. Each episode I find mildly amusing, but never openly hilarious. Last week was neither. Last week- I'm sure many of you know the episode I'm talking about- openly made fun of the one person that made it possible to be here. I could NOT believe the blatant lack of respect for Christianity, the disrespect for our Redeemer, and the casual mention of God being like a genie (granting wishes) when one prays to Him. I watched part of the show at home and turned it off. The next day my wonderful friend had us all over to watch it on her PVR. Of course I went, because I thought 'Friends! Socialization! The show won't be that bad, I was probably over-reacting last night. It will be fun.'
Fun it was because of the sweet girls that were there and the conversation, and delicious treats. At the same point on the recorded version, I left the room again because I felt sick. I'm so grateful for a beautiful friend, and her inclusion of everyone. I'm in no way saying that I think anything less of her. I just felt really awful when I left because I had done something I knew was wrong- again. The point is, why would I have told myself I was over-reacting, and then believed it? I'm not perfect, that's for sure. Beyond that, though, I think it has become commonplace to poke fun at deity and those of us that believe it.
I read something in the Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister that summed up what I have been thinking:
"Satan has been successful in diverting much of the... world's attention from the one doctrine that can save us, the Atonement of jesus Christ...Like a skilled magician, Satan's every move is to divert our attention and dilute our focus from the primary object at hand, namely Christ's atoning sacrifice...His diversionary tactics have been, and will be, of such global proportions that John tragically exclaimed, 'Satan...deceiveth the whole world'. (Revelation 1:29)"
Certain television shows may be critically acclaimed, but by whose standards? Has Satan set the bar at a level of television that is good, for all of us? For me, I will stick to watching what I think is good, by the standards my Savior has exemplified.
I believe in a kind and loving God. I believe in the atonement as the central act of humanity. I believe in the power of prayer as an action of faith.
*POST EDIT- I would like to point out that for those of you who are self proclaimed "Gleeks", or those who casually watch and enjoy this show: I didn't mean to pick on your favorite show, I used it only as an example of what I have experienced lately. Please don't take this to mean anything more than my own feelings of awe and wonderment.
Celebrate The Family Proclamation
10 months ago

10 comments:
I was uncomfortable during parts of the show as well... Wonder who we could write and show our concerns to....
Never seen it. But there are many shows out there that one or two episodes always make you wonder "Why di they do that?" Just ruins it usually...
I saw it and felt so uncomfortable too! I am proud of you for turning it off! You're such a great example Linds!
i too had a hard time with last weeks episode. i watch it every week but last week i will say i watched the hole thing but i wished i hadn't and wanted to turn it off but just kept thinking it will get better. unfortunatly i do this to often. i am with you on this topic
I was uncomfortable watching that episode. Someone wrote on their status "why did Jesus have to ruin Glee" and I thought to myself, "Why did Glee have to make fun of Jesus? He didn't ruin anything." I used to love that show, I will admit, but after that episode, it makes it hard for me to watch again. I just feel gross thinking about it. So they lost a viewer in me (not that it makes much of a difference to them). I wonder how many other people though stopped watching it because of that episode as well.
yeaahh i'm glad you wrote this, it was totally awkward. Here I was thinking, "sweet! a get-together with adults during the day!" However, the episode kinda dampened the visit. Glee keeps on going dowwwwnnnhilll. I'm losing interest. Anyway, AMEN! I agree!
Did you watch the entire episode? I agree with much of what you said and was definitely put off by parts of it. There was also much support in favor of faith and christianity. The show ended on an atheist character being invited to church and taught reasons for faith and faith in God.
Glee is the latest manifestation of taking pure teenage innocence and then corrupting it and galmorising sex, drugs, and illegal activity as the former teenage icons 'become adults' and learn to 'choose for themselves'. Examples include Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton,etc.
Don't watch next week's episode where teenage cheerleaders discuss adult acts.
I totally agree, Lindsey. I was excited for the musical aspect of Glee and thought I might try to squeeze it in to my meagre TV watching time, but I've heard enough about it now to make me think again. It's certainly easy to make excuses about what we watch and pretend to turn a blind eye, but I'm sure that Satan is delighted for us to believe that destructive media isn't having a negative effect on us. We shouldn't have to listen to the offensive stuff to get to the good stuff (assuming it will come) either. Good post.
Glee is not a good show regardless. Its entertainment that is not entertaining. Until the other night, we had watched only an ending musical and really enjoyed it. However, I watched a few minutes of it tonight and couldn't believe my eyes and ears. I frantically turned the channel when I realized my kids were in the room. That was a defining moment for me. Satan is using the media to normalize his perverse agenda to confuse people into enjoying the exploitation of children. It is rather disgusting...not necessarily Glee, but the purposes it is serving. Change the channel as quick as you can and don't question your judgement. You have it for a reason ;-)
Post a Comment