
Dustin has been a student for a very long time. (I have been his wife for most of it.) This usually means that we never see each other, except for holidays and weekends. Well, we see each other, but not for the long enough time that you might get sick of one another. Pure wedded bliss. Anyway, these holidays are, for the most part spent with our families. I consider our family to be very lucky to be able to drive for a while and spend the time of year meant for peace on earth, and love, with those that mean so much to us. I have very tender feelings in my heart for Christmases past, the traditions, and the overall feeling of the holiday. I found this poem the other day and it paints such beautiful imagery, and this is what I picture our home to be one day. Especially during the holiday.
A Prayer For A Little Home
God send us a little home,
To come back to, when we roam.
Low walls and fluted tiles,
Wide windows, a view for miles.
Red firelight and deep chairs,
Small white beds upstairs-
Great talk in little nooks,
Dim colors, rows of books.
One picture on each wall,
Not many things at all.
God send us a little ground,
Tall trees stand round.
Homely flowers in brown sod,
Overhead, thy stars, O God.
God bless thee, when winds blow,
Our home, and all we know.
-Florence Bone
With that, I'll add some imagery of my own that old Florence didn't have. This may warm my heart just a little bit more.
Do you have any traditions, or memories that evoke that sense of family in your heart at this time of year?

3 comments:
that was a pretty poem. Im jealous of all that snow. we were just at mothers group (like 4 americans, 1 canadian and like 1 or 2 australians) all saying this hot weather is not conducive to feeling christmassy...
so I'll go with eating mangoes (very christmassy tradition here) swimming on christmas day,reading christmas books, sleeping under the tree and our annual grandparents christmas dinner for our fav traditions.
oh and ps I see your sidebar is my old blog. this is my new one if ya wanna change it http://thisgirllovestotalk.blogspot.com
I wish I lived in that house! LOVE that last picture of Elle. So cute.
Your kids are so stinkin fun and cute! Did you guys go check out Christmas lights? what are those pictures of the boys from? I also agree with Erin, love that picture of Elle. One day, Linds, you will have a nice homey home with wonderful cupboards you can't even fill and new appliances and furniture and a basement that doesn't flood. That is my wish for you. Merry Christmas! haha
(P.S. only one more semester til they're done! then we may strangle them because they'll be home more than we're used to... haha)
Post a Comment