Friday, September 20, 2013

YW New Beginnings: Part One


This year, we planned our New Beginnings around a "Colour Carnival" theme. We decided that we could do eight carnival games centered on the eight values. This was very exciting for me because I had wanted to do a carnival for ages! It worked great. First, I talked to my very talented friend, Tess at the Burrfect design. Check out her blog here. She created some WAY cute invitations and the signs for each game. Like I said, TALENTED! The invitation was printed as a 5x6, and it worked great!


I printed these on 8x10 sheets from Costco. I wish I had made them bigger.
Orange- Choice and Accountability

Blue- Divine Nature

White- Faith

Red- Individual Worth

Purple- Integrity

Green- Knowledge

Gold- Virtue

Yellow- Good Works


She also made the tags for the food. These were printed as 4x6 and cut in half for display.

We made cotton candy with Marlan's cotton candy machine, ( I know, right?!) and little ice cream floats with different colour sodas. Colours, get it?

This was cute, because Marlan made little sliders and cocktail weenies. Her first time making buns and they turned out perfect!

I made the girls each a caramel apple to take home. They ate the popcorn during the games while they cheered each other on.

For decoration, I made a bunting out of really cute fat quarters I found at Village Quilts in Lethbridge. They have some really adorable stuff!
We were both proud of our artistry that day!

Set Up:


We met Wednesday night at 8:00 and stayed until 10:00 to set up. It was a blast to work with these two creative ladies!

The bunting up and stunning!
These were packages of the values, so for the coordinating game the girls could keep score on the back. The scripture that goes with each value is written on the front. The pages were colour co-ordinated, of course!

My chalkboard "art". It was to distract from my talk. =)


Cake Walk. Like musical chairs, but when the music stopped, there was a lego head stuck underneath random seats for a little cupcake. We changed them around each time the music started while the girls closed their eyes.
Hoop toss

Carol practicing the bean bag toss- or temple toss, as we called it.
Most of the gym set-up.
Marble Madness. Handmade by Marlan's dad.

Some pictures from that night.
Tamarin and her friend, Carli (both coming into YW this year) beneath the second bunting. Letters courtesy of Tess, again.

Nicolina. Our beautiful Laurel who LEADS!

Me, in my natural habitat among the balloons.

So, there you have it. That activity took a long time to plan! It was so worth it and when I do my second instalment, there will be pictures taken of the games and everything. Oh, and here is a little last minute treat, brought to you by the Helium industry.




4 comments:

lo.bennett111 said...

best. new beginnings. ever. So cute! Love the helium, hilarious!

Unknown said...

That looks like it was a blast! Wish I could've been there! Love and miss you guys so much! :)

Randa said...

way to much fin girlie! the theme is totally a classic! what really happens at young women's...=)

Rachel said...

Man that makes me miss all you ladies! Looks like tons of fun.