Friday, January 24, 2014

Max's Birthday

2013 was a special year for Max: he turned eight and was baptized! He was so excited for such a long time. Most of all, he was anxious to be able to begin going to Cubs every Thursday night. I think he's been wanting to build a KUB KAR for like, three years. Needless to say, he was over-the-moon excited about that.

We had his party the Friday after he turned eight. We invited all of our family that was able to make it, to go swimming at the Leisure Centre here in town. Max wanted a Minecraft party, so we made a banner, and attempted a "building block" cake, but it failed.  It was so exciting to have all of his Wilson cousins there for his party. They had a blast with grandparents Wilson and Wilde and Aunties Amy and Lise-Anne. We ate pizza afterwards and a DQ blizzard cake.




Present Time!









A Microscope Science Kit From Grandma and Grandpa Wilde



Thank goodness for DQ.





Watch the gradual deterioration of the cake… Dustin told me that he would try to take over and see if he could make it work. A few minutes later he said, "Don't be surprised if what I did made it worse. WAY worse…" Then, it fell apart.



Believe it or not, it got worse after this. As in, obliterated.

A note should be made here about the weather. Max was born in December. In Saskatoon. It was -35C when we brought him home. I remember watching the smoke plumes from the hospital rise out over the stiff, grey winter sky. I thought, "how can I take my baby home in this?" Well, that night as we all went in to go swimming and get wet, the temperature plummeted to -44C. I believe later that night, it dropped to -53C. We were the coldest place on earth. So, coming out of the Leisure Centre wet, with 3 wet kids (my parents took Ady home early, thank you!) and sitting in the car to let it warm up felt like the world would cease to turn. I laughed at what I thought was so hard with one baby in SUMMER temperatures. Ha! Anyway, it was cold. Colder than cold! We made it, though, and we have one happy little eight year old.

No comments: